Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Of Bridesmaids and Blessings


My current sewing project is a set of brown linen bridesmaids dresses for an Etsy client. They are in a fun retro style (see sketch above) It's been in the works for quite a while, have had the bolts of fabric sitting around for a couple of weeks waiting on measurements which came last week. The fabric was on two huge bolts, plus a couple of yards on a little roll.

 So, bright and early Monday morning I set to work.  I washed/dryed the fabric on the little roll, got the first dress cut out and made really good progress on the construction. The next day I finished the first dress. But - I wasn't altogether happy with it. Oh, it was cute and it looked like the sketch, but there were several construction/finishing steps that I felt could have been done better - but that I didn't want to take apart and re-do now that the dress was done. So, I was in a bit of a dilemma and feeling really annoyed at myself and the world. ( you know how a sewing project gone sour really makes your whole world seem dark somehow...lol ). So I was trying to decide what to do. I knew I would feel guilty if I sent off a dress that I knew wasn't the best I could do....but on the other hand, ripping out all those seams and all that topstitching really didn't sound like fun.

So, while I was thinking about it I washed one of the big bolts of linen. When it came out of the wash, I knew right away that I had a terrible problem. The fabric was a completely different shade than the dress I had already made!!! What a sickening feeling. I would obviously now have to start completely over so that all the dresses would be the right shade, and instead of having a dress completed, it was back to square one.
Went to bed feeling very grumpy, but prayed for patience and that I would make the right decision.

This morning I again got to work, making the same sized dress over again - this time in the correct shade of fabric. However, now that I knew the type of finishing/construction techniques I wanted to incorporate, things went much easier, and I was able to complete the dress and be 100% pleased with it! 

So - in the end the whole fabric shade  fiasco turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

It's nice to know that God can take the little (and big) mishaps that happen everyday and work them out for good in our lives! It makes me happy.

9 comments:

April said...

I am glad that even sewing mishaps turn out for good. :-)

I have a question for you...did you do a fashion design drawing course or something to learn to draw your designs. My sewing skills are fine, but my drawing skills are...non-existent. That makes it tougher when doing long-distance projects when you need to have a good sketch. :-\ Any advice?

(SunriseSunsetApril from the S&S board)

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. It's tough to have spent so much time on something only to have it turn out less than what you imagined. Sometimes, those things happen for a reason. In my rush to start or finish projects, I can miss steps. I have to take the time to listen to that little voice that says to wait before I keep blundering ahead. I'm glad God was able to work everything out. Blessings as you work on the rest of the dresses!

Atlanta said...

April,

I've never taken any classes, but my mom is an amazing artist, and I guess I inherited the ability to draw from her. It's not anything I can take credit for, it's just something I've been able to do since I could hold a pencil....

One thing you might try is working with a light box or tracing paper. If you see a sketch you like - trace it and practice it until you can do it w/out the help of the tracing, I bet that would be a big help training your hand/eye.

I've used that technique alot when I'm trying to figure out how to draw certain styles of art that I don't normally do myself. :)

hope this helps! --Atlanta

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Isn't it kind of funny when those things that go 'wrong' turn out to be ok in the end? Guess God has a good sense of humor!
I can't wait to see the dresses! (cuz I hope you plan on posting pictures!)
Sarah

Atlanta said...

Sarah - yep! I will get some pictures before I send them off, you may be sure! :)

Miss you! Wee need to talk soon!

-A.

Desarae said...

Oh dear, how dreadful that sounds! I can relate to your experience with some of my crochet projects. Makes your stomach drop and the world goes grey when you realize you made a mistake or something isn't working out!

Praise the Lord though, it worked out for the best in the end! I hope the rest of the dresses come along smoothly and without any mishaps.

See you tomorrow! :)

Brooke W. said...

The dresses are going to be so beautiful when they are finished! I can't wait to see them. :)

How did you learn to create patterns so well?!?!?! People that can look at something/draw a picture and create a pattern that will make up to look exactly like the picture amaze me to no end! I can't do it to save my life... :S lol

I'm glad everything is working out for you. :)

~B

PrincessR said...

Isn't God so good? He is amazing in how He can take something awful and make it wonderful. I am glad you are able to see that. :)

That is so cool you are doing bridesmaids dresses! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Love you! We have got to get together sometime-soon

~Rebecca

Custom Seamstress, handmade clothing said...

I am glad your fiasco turned out. I know exactly how you feel when something goes wrong on a job...but isn't it interesting how things always seem to work out! God is sovereign!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails