Friday, March 26, 2010

Two New Dresses...

I have been very inspired this week by the new trends I'm seeing for spring. Lots of fabric flowers and feminine details! Love it. So - on a whim I pulled out some ice blue taffeta and matching sheer (that was meant for an 'Alice' dress....) and frantically began to turn my sketch into reality. I am SO pleased with the results. Skirt is full-gathered  and two layers - one taffeta and one sheer - the bodice is fitted with darts. The best part is the handmade fabric flowers clustered around the scoop neckline and cascading down over the straps.

I am very excited about a wedding collection I have coming out this spring along the same lines!
Also - I have a pale yellow linen dress going for myself, in the same basic style as the ice blue dress.









The next day - I pulled some various lavendar fabrics out of the stash, and this dress-creation turned out being 50's inspired! I like the effect of the periwinke tulle over the gingham taffeta!



Both dresses are currently for sale in my Etsy shop. Look for more coming soon!

11 comments:

Marian said...

Those are beautiful!!! I love the blue one especially! How did you make the roses?

rebecca jane said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Atlanta said...

Thankee!

The roses I made by cutting a bias strip of fabric, folding it in half, then gathering it. To finish stitch the gathers around each other in pleasing circles. :^)

-Bess- said...

I have one word (okay 2): completely lovely (I hope I spelled completely right) =).
Have you thought about entering them in the Ruffles & Stuff contest? I think those flowers would go as ruffles!
Here's the link in case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2010/03/ruffle-your-stuff-and-win.html
-Bess-
><>

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dresses!

rebecca jane said...

I second Bess...you should DEF enter it into the Ruffle your Stuff contest!!

Fiddlin Girl said...

Aw, those are really neat Atlanta!! I love it! you are SO creative and a genius. I don't think I would be able to just whip something out like that. Great job! The flowers on the neckline are really just too cute.
Can't wait to see what else you whip out!

Love ya! Sarah

Sewings and Goings; Love of Historic and Vintage Fashion said...

Those dresses are stinkin cute!! So adorable!! By the way, I just LOVE your site!! Love the dresses and everything else about it!! Keep up the good sewing work!
-Sam

Sewings and Goings; Love of Historic and Vintage Fashion said...

Oh yes, just another thing- the rosettes are just the touch!

Pinkzest said...

hi there! I was wondering which tulle did you use here...is it the harder type or the softer one? thanks!

Atlanta said...

Pinkzest- the purple tulle used was the thin small netting stuff usually seen at fabric stores - not really stiff, but it has to much body to be really flowy or soft.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails